-met with my public programs supervisor Jane (1 of 3 I will have) aka an equally passionate art history nerd, who loves talking about the field/how to train docents/art history. We spent the first 2 hours just gushing about how fun art history is and what makes a good docent.
-I started my first research project. They just got an Joachin Wtewael painting on loan and know nothing about it; that's where I come in. So I got to spend hours researching the artist, painting on copper and the story depicted in the painting. Well wouldn't you know the story is from a piece of classic literature written by Ovid - luckily I just got finished studying William Blake so reading some complex mythological epic is right up my alley. So fun! (that exclamation point is not sarcastic, I seriously adore this stuff)
-learned that I have unlimited access to the Currier's library. I almost had to be pulled physically from it. Me and the librarian bonded.
-upon unloaded my mountains of information on Jane, she said I could make the handout and even a powerpoint and if I want do a 5-10 minute presentation to teach the docents about this painting. YEAH. I had to take a deep breath so as not to yell my response: "yes, I'd LOVE that!!" at her. It's like everything from this past semester was training me for this internship. Take tutoring aka explaining art history to disinterested freshman add in distilling a 25 page research paper into a 10 minute presentation and BAM you have my next Tuesday afternoon. It's a bit soon but I have no worries. Just pure excitement.
To sum up - my internship is wonderful and I would literally kill for this to be my job. Researching art history and then figuring out how to present to a class full of eager docents to communicate to the public?! DONE.
No comments:
Post a Comment