Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Hampshire: a second Wisconsin

I just realized I forgot to include my impressions of New Hampshire and Manchester.

Manchester is basically Stevens Point, if Point were a city. So it's a Stevens Point/Milwaukee hybrid. It is extremely blue collar in the best possible way. The people are all pracitically dressed i.e. no silly fashionable people running about. They are nice, boarding on "midwest-polite" but they say things with a hint of Boston accent on "o's" and "r's" which endears them to me ("oh my gawd"). Pick-up trucks are EVERYWHERE. Almost more than Point. There are 7 Dunkin' Donuts within 20 miles of my home and no Starbucks. There is actually only 1 cute coffee place in town (that I have discovered so far, the search continues).

In essence - I LOVE it. It's all the good things about Point but it's full of hills and beautiful old, like really old (well American-old, but I'll take it) buildings. Even better, it's only an hour from Boston.

1 comment: