Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Because it's just Tuesday

Couples call it "Valentines Day" but for us single people, today is just Tuesday and I spent it like this:

I went to a training session on a teaching method called VTS (Visual Training Strategies), which they are teaching the docents to use during their tours. It focuses on asking the viewers questions in order to lead them to their own conclusions about the artwork and keeps the docents from lecturing about the work. I love it. Anyway today was just an opportunity for the docents to practice and ask Jane a bunch of questions. It was fascinating-the docents had a really interesting discussion about the whole method and things that go well when they use and don't go well.

Then I went to the curation budget meeting, which was also really interesting. The amount of things that need to come together harmoniously in order for a museum exhibition to be successful is staggering. There was a 20 minute discussion about lightbulbs because they just spent $2,000 but they don't have any low-watt bulbs for the upcoming print show. It was intense.

Through all of this I took 3 pages of notes and proceeded to spend the last hour of my day peppering Jane with questions and we had an awesome discussion about everything. I am learning so much here it is mind boggling.

(This post is a bit wimpy-my apologies, it was a long day and I am feeling excessively distracted so I think I'm leaving out pretty much all details and am going to watch a movie now)

No comments:

Post a Comment