I learn fun things like this over lunch, which I have with most of the museum staff. I tell them stuff about Wisconsin, they look surprised. Then they tell me awesome things about Manchester/New England in their lovely accents. It is just one part of my day that I love. The rest of it I literally spend researching art history. Right now I'm simultaneously working on three projects:
1. Researching everything about a new painting on loan (I have a book on my desk called "Copper as Canvas: two centuries of masterpieces painted on copper"), create a handout for the docents and teach the docents how to present it to the public.
2. Research 12 paintings the museum wants to deaccession (i.e. get rid of) - I need to find out their value, who would want them, if we are legally allowed to get ride of them.
3. Research 4 contemporary art pieces in the museum and then right a 300 word bit on each one to go online. So if you go to the website and look up the work BAM there is my explanation of it!
So I'm plenty busy and spend hours in the registrar's office reading all documentation on artworks. It is fascinating and I can't believe it is my actual life.
No comments:
Post a Comment